The first topic I chose to review for insight into my pedagogical studies
was collaboration between classmates, referred to as cooperative learning and
group work (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 61). I also reviewed the article How
to Build Happy Brains (Willis, 2012). I found that many of the
questions I had about how to properly choose and apply cooperative learning and
group work strategies within the classroom were answered, even with a group
suggestion which applies to Science, my major focus! I found myself
interested to know the answers to the questions! Interestingly enough, Dr.
Willis is a neurosurgeon and a teacher of children in the middle grades
(adolescents), which is also my focus. She explained not only in layman's terms
but in neurological terms, what happens within the brain (particularly the
frontal lobes, and the amagdala), what the adolescent response is to stress
such as students who have to participate by posting on the board, or raising
their hands to answer questions, such as is regular practice in the earlier
grades. The only real concern I have is one I remember, myself, from being in
high-school, and that is being assigned to a group of people that participate
in bullying behavior. How can we, as teachers, establish group activities by
strengths and weaknesses, allowing students to assign and perform activities related
to roles, have fair and fun weekly meetings, and class celebrations if bullying
is part of the equation, which it always is?
I found myself asking more questions, and hope to do research on this area in
the future. I never thought about peer-reviews, weekly meetings, and
celebrations within the context of student collaboration or cooperative
learning, and these are excellent ideas to remember. Another good idea is to
begin each year with a poll or Q&A discussion with students about their
preferences or strengths. Personally, I feel an online poll or class poll with
clickers and an overhead projector would be the best manner, so that we could
see what types of roles fit into each type of intelligence and personality
type. Later, each student could e-mail with two roles they felt they excelled
at, and roles could be rotated, to try and assist students to stretch their
horizons. I am so glad that I found this website, and am excited to peruse it
further in our research.
The second concept I would like to discuss is the learning theory of
constructivism, if one must select only one of the four learning theories.
Piaget, it is argued, is the real authority on the subject, as I am studying in
another course. The reason that I believe this is the most important theory for
teachers to follow draws upon my many positive and negative experiences as a
parent, and also upon those - and the insight - of my adolescent children. It
seems to me that constructivist theory allows for each student to be viewed as
an individual and to learn in their own way, somewhat inclusive of the other
theories of learning which involve innate understanding and curiosity,
adaptability and learning through response to environment, as well as building
their own knowledge base. Additionally, constructivist learning is more
student-centered than teacher-centered, responding to the needs, strengths, and
weaknesses of the student and having them direct much of their own learning, in
accordance with the curricula of the class or classes that they attend. The
only issue for me, with regard to this, is how a teacher can increase their
confidence level and their creativity in assessing and managing the students'
needs and making sure they are able to work independently. I feel that B.Y.O.T.
(Bring Your Own Technology) does assist students in feeling as if they are
learning independently, depending on the manner in which they are doing so, and
that technology is really a life-saver in regard to applying these concepts.
Technological advances, especially B.Y.O.T. and online access can help students
separate themselves from anxious situations and focus on the work, as well as
manage their home and social lives, especially in an age where multi-tasking is
something students excel at with each passing year.
For the above two concepts, together with the third, below, I have included a Kahoot sample quiz, on cooperative learning with pin 785099 that I devised about cooperative learning. It would take me a little longer to make this much more interesting and applicable for adolescents, but I am pleased to have learned how to do these. You basically create the quiz, obtain a pin, which you share, and make an appointment with students to complete it during a window of time.
Last, I would like to discuss the lessons we can learn from Montessori
concepts, which begin with Maria Montessori in the 20th century.
Montessori seems to apply a lot of independent and student-directed learning
opportunities, building upon the natural and innate curiosity and energy of
students – particularly at the young and middle ages. In middle science, a way
that a teacher could create such an arena for students would be to bring in
different types of large rocks when discussing the types and origins of rocks
within the earth, how they are composed, and what is made from them or what
they are utilized for. This would involve kinesthetic student-directed
learning, as each student reviewed the rocks and responded with their own
thoughts regarding it’s texture, guesses about its source based upon what was
already reviewed and more, and though the teacher is present and gives the
students the tools to perform the activity, they are able to perform without
the constant teacher intervention, attention, and/or instruction. Afterwards, a way to incorporate technology
would be to have students review the type of rock online and determine if their
own answers were correct, independently, and then having a group discussion
focusing on things which they learned, tying into the next chapter involving
how they such rocks were formed, and any areas or physical formations of
relevance. Montessori’s approach has resulted in many centers devoted to the
concepts of independent, student-directed learning, curiosity inducing
activities or points of interest, and open-ended exploration which facilitates
learning. Additionally, Montessori methods provide for self-correcting
feedback, which minimizes anxiety and increases learning – as we noted above
with regard to the neurology of the adolescent brain. In my own experience,
however, I must note that not all Montessori named schools understand and
properly apply Montessori methods of teaching and enforcement.
Resources
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,
Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming
Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pears
What is Montessori | Montessori 101 | Montessori Education. (2015,
January 1). Retrieved February 1, 2015, from
http://www.montessori.org/what-is-montessori
Willis, J. (2012). How to Build Happy Brains. Retrieved February 1, 2015,
from http://www.middleweb.com/2847/how-to-build-happy-brains/
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to play your Kahoot - If you are going to give out the PIN it needs to be 'live' at the time. Each time you play, they give you a new PIN. I did see the questions, though, and looks like it was on target! We actually played a game of Kahoot in class last week regarding previous week's learning. It is a fantastic formative assessment tool and I've never played it when students weren't engaged. :)
ReplyDeleteI like your reflections and extensions on Montessori - there is definitely much we can learn from and incorporate from her ideation and philosophies about learning. Although it would be difficult to do in the strict sense across the board, there are certainly elements that could be replicated in various schools and/or classes.
Oh, that's too bad. :( I'm glad you were at least able to view it, though. I didn't realize that about the pin, but it nagged at me a little bit. Good thing I didn't discover that with my students, instead of now - as that would be a huge mistake. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sad that I missed you all playing Kahoot - I really wanted to see it in motion. I'm glad I didn't, though, to make sure no one else was sickened by me (as a sidenote: Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 tbsp 3 times per day really erases symptoms, and mixed with apple juice or direct 1x per day can help others not get sick). :)
Maybe I will practice playing Kahoot with my boys for gifts ;) Mom Trivia or something.
Thank you in regards to the Montessori discussion, I love the applications, and agree (mostly) with the ideas. I never realized, before, though, that Montessori was her name - and so I was glad for the assignment. I knew a woman founded the theory and practice (hence, the schools), and that there is vast difference between Montessori schools, as with other types of schools, but I agree that there is a limit to application in public schools. I am wondering just exactly where that line would be, though, and I think it varies by school administrator, application of guidelines, etc. Do you have any other insights as to where one could discuss that idea further -- that of applying Montessori methods to public school classrooms.